17 Unbelievable Facts About Postcards of Lions from Africa
1. How do Lions Hunt? Like a wolf pack, their prey is still generally faster than them, they use teamwork to bring an animal down. Fanning out, they form a semicircle, with the smaller, weaker lionesses herding the prey towards the center. Then the stronger females knock the animal down and make the kill.
2. Are Lions Hermits? The Lions that Live in Africa are very Social Animals, they live in a group called a pride consisting of 15 – 30 Lions3. Who does the Hunting? The Female Lions do the hunting, even though the males eat first. The Male Lion defends his territory
4. What is the Range of Lions Now? Lions were once found free all through Africa, Asia, and Europe, but now only exist in Africa and Asiatic found in Sasan – Gir National Park in India. In that park, there are currently 350-400 lions in that park
5. How Loud is a Lions Roar? A Roaring Lion can be heard from as far as 5 miles away.
6. How Fast are Lions? A Lion can Sprint at a speed of 50 MPH and can do a mighty leap up to 36 Feet.
7. How do you tell a Lions Age? A lions age can be determined by his Mane. The Older he gets the darker his Mane becomes.
8. Lions sleeping Habits? The adult lion may sleep up to 20 hours a day, after a meal.
9. What are Baby Lions Called? A Baby Lion is called a cub, lionet, or a whelp.
10. How Long do Lions live? The average Life span of a Lion is approximate 12 – 16 years, they have been known to live up to 25 years in Captivity
11. What are the Roles of Male and Female Lions? Males and females take on very different roles in the pride. Male lions spend their time guarding their territory and their cubs
12. What type of Hunters are they? Lions generally are nighttime hunters, quietness= and keen Eyesight help them in this. Their food consists of zebras, rhinos, crocodiles, giraffes, young elephants, smaller prey like, birds, lizards, rabbits when available. Been Known to eat spoiled meat.
13. How do Lionesses give Birth? Lionesses give birth to 2-3 cubs at a time. Usually, a couple of females give birth around the same time. The cubs are then raised together, sometimes nursing communally.
14. How old before Cubs Hunt? Female cubs stay with the group as they age. At around two years old, they become capable hunters
15. Are Lions Endangered? African lions are Endangered Species, considered vulnerable of extinction by the IUCN Red List. They are threatened by loss and fragmentation of habitat. They are also killed by humans in bravery rituals, as hunting trophies, for medicinal powers, or by ranchers protecting their livestock
16. Other Endangered Species
Postcards from Africa For Sale
Darlene’s Vintage Postcards from Africa
Darlene’s Old Postcards from Africa